Wednesday 13 December 2017

Attempted assassination like something ‘out of Love/Hate’

Patrick McCann - sentenced to 20 years for attempted muirder of Luke Wilson
Patrick McCann - sentenced to 20 years for attempted muirder of Luke Wilson

A MAN has been jailed for 20 years for the attempted murder of his best friend, in a case the judge said was “something out of Love/Hate’.

Patrick McCann (20) of Decies Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin, pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of Luke Wilson (19) at Liffey Gaels GAA Club, Memorial Park, Inchicore on January 13.

The court heard he shot his lifelong friend three times. The shooting led to Mr Wilson losing his eye.

McCann also pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life at the same place on that date.

In sentencing, Mr Justice Paul Carney said the incident read “like something from a script for Love/Hate’.

The court was told that the pair were “lifelong” friends.

On January 13 last, the court, the pair met up to get a gun at Memorial Park in Islandbridge.

However, McCann turned the weapon on Wilson, shooting him in the neck, arm and face, causing him to lose his eye.

The court was told McCann stood over his victim and tried to shoot him again twice more.

However, the gun jammed.

He was subsequently arrested by gardai at Kevin Street.

Mr Justice Paul Carney said the incident was like something a person would read in a script for ‘Love/Hate’.

But he said the message was not going to go out for the Central Criminal Court that senior gangland figures could have an assassination carried out by preying on vulnerable people in the hope the courts would show them leniency.

The last three years of McCann’s 20 year sentence was suspended by Mr Justice Carney due to his early guilty plea.

Last week, Detective Sergeant Michael O'Brien told the court that Mr Wilson had made an arrangement to meet McCann that day at the Memorial Park.

McCann and Mr Wilson knew each other "since they were in nappies", he said.

After he shot Wilson, McCann dropped his mobile near where the victim lay and he rang '999' on it, believing it was his own phone.

Mr Wilson told emergency services he was shot and he thought he was going to die.

McCann was arrested in Ballyfermot that day, the court heard.

When interviewed, he denied any knowledge of the shooting or that he was involved in it.

Paul Carroll, prosecuting, said that Mr Wilson did not want to provide a victim impact statement to the court.

The court heard he had associated cerebral stroke, palsy in his right arm, permanent scars, damage to vertebrae and may require further surgery.

McCann had previous convictions for possession of drugs and sale and supply for which he received 12 months' probation.

He was also sentenced to two years in jail for theft and aggravated burglary and was on bail when Mr Wilson was shot.

McCann said he was asked to carry out the shooting because of his outstanding drug debt and was in fear, the court heard.

A report before the court stated that McCann was threatened that he would be shot himself if he did not shoot Mr Wilson.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News