Friday 19 January 2018

Architect accused of Elaine murder loses bail appeal

Graham Dwyer pictured leaving the Four Courts yesterday. Photo: Collins Courts
Graham Dwyer pictured leaving the Four Courts yesterday. Photo: Collins Courts
Graham Dwyer (right) pictured arriving at the Four Courts yesterday. Photo: Collins Courts
Elaine O'Hara

Tim Healy

A MAN charged with the murder of Elaine O'Hara has been refused bail by the Supreme Court.

Graham Dwyer was charged in October with the murder of Ms O'Hara (36), whose decomposed remains were found in the Dublin mountains in September.

He is accused of murdering Ms O'Hara in Co Dublin on August 22, 2012.

The 41-year-old architect and father of two, originally from Cork but with an address at Kerrymount Close, Foxrock, Dublin, was remanded in custody by a District Court judge earlier this week to appear on January 15 by video-link.

The book of evidence is also due to be presented then.

He was refused bail by the High Court last month after the State objected.

He was in the Supreme Court yesterday when the three members of the court took just under half an hour to decide to reject his application for bail.

Chief Justice Susan Denham said the court was dismissing all three grounds on which the appeal had been brought.

The court had earlier made an order that none of the evidence relating to the bail application could be published.

Mr Dwyer dressed in a dark suit, shirt and tie, attended the court accompanied by prison officers.

However, he arrived 15 minutes later than scheduled and two of the three judges complained about the delay.

Sean Guerin, for the DPP, said their concerns would be brought to the attention of the prison authorities.

Mr Dwyer has been held at Cloverhill Prison since he was charged on October 18 when a court was told that after he was cautioned by gardai and asked if he had anything to say, he replied, "I do: Not guilty."

On November 20, he was further remanded in custody and granted legal aid.

At that hearing, the court heard he was no longer on a salary and his family home was in mortgage arrears.

Ms O'Hara had been missing for more than a year before her decomposed remains were found in undergrowth by a woman walking her dog on September 13 on Killakee Mountain, Rathfarnham, Dublin.

The opening of an inquest into her death heard no cause of death had been established. The inquest was adjourned until the outcome of the criminal proceedings.


Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News