Sunday 25 February 2018

Appeal against sex attacker Anthony Lyons sentence to be heard in November

Appeal against Anthony Lyons sentence to be heard in November
Appeal against Anthony Lyons sentence to be heard in November

Brian Kavanagh

The State’s appeal against the six-month sentence handed down to sex attacker Anthony Lyons will be heard in November.

The 52-year-old, who is a high-profile aviation broker, was last year jailed for six months by Judge Desmond Hogan for attacking and sexually assaulting a woman in the early hours of the morning of October 3, 2010.

The appeal is being made on the grounds of ‘undue leniency’.

Counsel for Lyons, Patrick Gageby SC, today told the appeal court that the case would take longer than the average undue leniency application.

Presiding judge Mr Justice Adrian Hardiman said that due to the movement of another case there was a two-hour time slot available on November 18.

Both sides indicated this was acceptable.

The court heard that replying submissions on behalf of Lyons should be filed by the middle of September as submissions from the prosecution only have so far been filed.

He was sentenced to six years with five-and-a-half-years suspended and was ordered by Judge Hogan to pay his victim €75,000 in compensation.

Lyons admitted the attack but claimed he was overcome with an “irresistible urge” due to the combination of alcohol, cholesterol medicine and cough syrup.

He was released from prison in December last year and the case was given a priority listing by the Court of Criminal Appeal last month.

The court previously heard that the appeal would take two hours as Lyons had put forward an unusual defence with evidence of involuntary intoxication and separate distinct evidence of voluntary intoxication.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News