Ana Kriegel murder trial: Judge restricts any further reporting of evidence until after verdict
A JUDGE has ruled that there is to be no further publication of any evidence in the trial of two 14-year-old boys accused of the murder of Ana Kriegel until after the verdicts.
Mr Justice Paul McDermott made the ruling in the front of the jury of eight men and four women this afternoon.
Judge McDermott told the jury that an order had been made "restricting the publication of evidence in this trial until its conclusion and delivery of a verdict."
Judge McDermott told the jury that in the course of the trial and in relation to any determination they must reach, it must be done in accordance with the evidence they hear in court.
Judge McDermott said that there had been "considerable media interest in this trial".
However, any comment by the media was entirely irrelevant and the jury was told they must ignore it.
Judge McDermott said his duty was to protect the integrity of the trial.
"You may become aware in the course of the next few hours that I've made an order, which restricts publication of evidence in this trial until its conclusion and delivery of a verdict", Judge McDermott told the jury.
The youths, aged 13 at the time, have pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to the murder of schoolgirl Anastasia 'Ana' Kriegel (14) at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road in Lucan on May 14 last year.
One of the boys has also denied a further charge of aggravated sexual assault.
Ana's body was found by gardai at the disused farmhouse three days after she was reported missing. She was last seen by her father leaving her home at 5pm on the day she disappeared.