Thursday 22 August 2019

Ana Kriegel murder trial: Boy told gardaí he had 'no clue' what had happened to missing schoolgirl

Ana Kriegel
Ana Kriegel
Eimear Cotter

Eimear Cotter

A BOY accused of murdering schoolgirl Ana Kriegel told gardai investigating her disappearance he had "no clue" what had happened to her, a trial has heard.

Sergeant Aengus Hussey told the Central Criminal Court that Boy B made a statement where he claimed, "I have no clue what happened to her".

Boy B also said that it was only when gardai called to his home that he found out Ana was missing.

Sgt Hussey said the statements had been taken from Boy A and Boy B, as gardai had concerns about inconsistencies in the routes they claimed they'd walked with Ana on the evening she disappeared.

Sgt Hussey also gave evidence that he spoke to Boy A as they walked the route through the public park and Boy A said Ana had asked him out but he'd told her he wasn't interested.

Sgt Hussey said Boy A told him that Ana was upset, and she'd turned and walked away from him.

‘Smiling’: Ana Kriegel was happy, her father said
‘Smiling’: Ana Kriegel was happy, her father said

The sergeant also said he "felt immediately that something was wrong" when he saw the boys exchange a look as they walked the route.

The youths, aged 13 at the time, have pleaded not guilty to the murder of Ana (14) at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road in Lucan on May 14 last year.

One of the boys, Boy A, has also denied a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

Ana's naked body was found by gardai at the disused farmhouse three days after she was reported missing by her parents, Geraldine and Patric. She was last seen by them leaving her home with Boy B at 5pm on the day she disappeared, the court heard.

It is the prosecution's case that Boy B "lured" Ana to the derelict farmhouse and then watched "voyeuristically" as the other boy sexually assaulted and murdered her.

This morning, Sgt Hussey said that he and Sergeant John Dunne had walked the route with Boy A, his father and Boy B.

He said that when they came to a certain part of the park Boy B said this was as far as he'd gone with Ana.

Sgt Hussey said that there "seemed to be confusion" about the route the boys had taken with Ana, and he saw them exchange a look.

He wasn't happy with this and "felt immediately that something was wrong".

Sgt Hussey said he "couldn't understand" why the boys weren't telling him the exact route they taken.

As a result, it was decided to split up the boys.

Sgt Hussey said Sgt Dunne stayed with Boy B, while he continued on the route with Boy A.

Boy A then told him that Ana had asked him out but he wasn't interested, the court heard.

Boy A also told him that he'd been attacked by two men, and that was why he was limping.

Sgt Hussey said that he was unhappy with the boys' accounts as they seemed to lack consistency so they were taken to Leixlip Garda Station to make a voluntary witness statement.

Boy B's witness statement was read into evidence.

In the statement Boy B said that he'd gone to Ana's home around 5pm on May 14 on behalf of his friend, Boy A.

Boy B said his friend had told him he wanted to "sort out some relationship issues" with Ana.

He and Ana had walked through the park, and she was "very chatty", he said.

She asked him why Boy A wanted to talk to her, and he said she'd find out when they got to where they were going.

Boy B said he stayed slightly behind Ana and Boy A, after they met up with him, so to give them some privacy, the court heard.

Boy B claimed he then went to get a drink of water from an outside tap, and he saw Ana again as she walked back to where they'd originally come from.

Boy B told gardai that he said "hey" to her, but she didn't really say anything. She had her head down and she looked upset, he said.

Boy B said he wasn't really sure where she went after that, and the last time he saw Ana was in the park about 5.30pm or 5.40pm.

Boy B also said he didn't see Boy A again, and he had gone home and done his homework.

He also didn't know Ana was missing until gardai called to his home later that night, he said in his statement, and told gardai, "I have no clue what happened to her".

In cross examination, Sgt Hussey agreed with Damien Colgan SC, for Boy B, that a parent was not with Boy B during the walk through the park.

Sgt Hussey also told Patrick Gageby SC, for Boy A, that he had asked Boy A's father to walk slightly behind so that he could talk to Boy A, as he thought that he might have been embarrassed about something.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Paul McDermott and a jury of eight men and four women. 

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News