Monday 23 September 2019

Ana Kriegel Murder Trial: Boy told detective he believed injuries suffered by co-accused were inflicted by schoolgirl

Eimear Cotter

Eimear Cotter

A BOY told a detective he believed that injuries which his co-accused claimed he had suffered in an assault by two older teens had been inflicted on him by schoolgirl Ana Kriegel, a trial heard.

Detective Garda Marcus Roantree told the Central Criminal Court that he had arranged to retrace Boy B's last interactions with Ana.

When Gda Roantree met with Boy B on May 17, 2018 Ana's body had just been found.

Gda Roantree said Boy B told him that he had heard Ana's body had been found and he was nervous because he was one of the last people to be seen with her.

Gda Roantree also gave evidence that Boy B told him Boy A and his mother had called to his house on May 15, and this was the first time he'd learned Boy A had been assaulted.

Boy B said Boy A had spoken about it briefly.

Boy B told Gda Roantree that he believed "Ana did this to him" as Boy A would have had "more marks on his face" if he'd been assaulted by two big guys.

Gda Roantree further told the jury that he took a voluntary DNA sample from Boy A on May 16, 2018 as well as photographs of the injuries he alleged he received when he was assaulted.

Ana Kriegel
Ana Kriegel

Gda Roantree said Boy A told him that Ana had touched him, and put her hand across his shoulder and chest and that this might be helpful.

Gda Roantree told prosecuting counsel Brendan Grehan SC he hadn't asked Boy A any questions, and when he said Ana the garda knew he was referring to Ana Kriegel, who was still missing.

The Central Criminal Court also heard that Boy A helped gardai to generate a computer image of the two older men he alleged assaulted him on the day Ana went missing.

Detective Garda Mairead Crowley said she spent three and a half hours with Boy A generating the evofit, or computer image, of the two men who he said had attacked him in the park.

Ana Kriegel
Ana Kriegel

Gda Crowley said Boy A and his mother came to Garda Headquarters on May 17, 2018 to complete the computer drawing.

Gda Crowley said Boy A gave "a very good description" of both his attackers.

In their evidence, Boy A's mother said her son looked "very, very pale and shaking" when he arrived home about 6pm on the evening Ana was last seen.

His father said Boy A looked scruffy and dusty. He told him he'd gotten "hopped" by two older youths.

His father also said Boy A told him he'd been in the park with Boy B, but did not mention Ana.

Earlier, Gda Seamus Timmins said he had checked the CCTV footage in the park between 4.30pm and 8pm on May 14, 2018 and he did not see any evidence of Boy A's alleged attackers.

However, he accepted not all the cameras in the park were working.

In his evidence this afternoon, Boy A's father said his son was "shaking" and had a bit of blood on his lip when he spoke to him in his bedroom around 6pm.

He said his son was limping, and his hands were scruffy and dusty. He told him he'd been "hopped" by two older youths in the park.

Boy A's father said he gave his son a cup of sweet tea.

The pair then drove around the park to see if they could spot anyone matching the description his son had given him, but nobody fitted the exact description.

In her evidence, Boy A's mother said her son had been given permission to go out, and he'd come home around 6pm.

He called her into his bedroom. He was "very, very pale and shaking", she said.

He looked rattled and shaken, she said.

Her son had a small spot of blood on his t-shirt as well as a small amount on his bottoms.

He looked like "he'd been beaten up", she said, and told his parents that he'd been attacked by two youths in the park.

She later washed her son's clothes, she told the court.

In cross examination, Boy A's mother accepted she couldn't remember exactly when her son told her that he had met Boy B in the park.

Earlier, Park Ranger Norman Macken told the Central Criminal Court he noticed small bits of blood on the fingers, face and trousers of a teenager who told him he "got a bit of a hiding" in the woods.

Mr Macken said he spoke to the boy, who looked "about 16", after his father knocked on the ranger station to complain his son had been assaulted.

The man was "very irate" he said, and told him his son had been "jumped" in the woods by a "couple of big fellas".

Mr Macken asked the man if he had contacted gardai and he said he'd been trying but couldn't get through to them.

Mr Macken rang the garda station and when the call connected he handed it to the man.

The man's car was parked near the ranger station. Mr Macken said he could see a shadow in it and presumed it was the son, so he walked over to the car. He was "just being nosy" and wanted to see if the boy needed help.

Asked by Mr Grehan what he saw, Mr Macken said he saw a young lad wearing a white t-shirt.

His hair was "all over the place" and he "looked like he was in a fight".

Mr Macken said he asked the boy what had happened and if he was ok.

The boy put his hand to his eyes and told him he "just got a bit of a hiding in the woods".

Mr Macken said the boy did not seem to want to engage with him.

His hands were shaking, the court heard.

Mr Macken said he didn't look too closely but he noticed "small bits of blood" on the boy's fingers. His trousers also had a little bit of blood and there were "little bits" on his face .

Asked about the boy's demeanour, Mr Macken said the youth seemed "like a rabbit caught in headlights".

Earlier, a doctor who examined Boy A said he had suffered "soft tissue injuries consistent with blunt force trauma".

The GP examined Boy A after his mother brought him to his clinic on May 16, 2018 as he had injuries which he had sustained in an alleged assault two days earlier.

The GP gave evidence that Boy A told him he had been assaulted in a random attack about 5.30pm on May 14.

Boy A told the doctor he was grabbed from behind and taken to the ground, where he was kicked and punched by two young men.

The doctor said Boy A informed him he had been kicked in the right knee, lower back and chest.

The GP told the Central Criminal Court he conducted a brief examination, and found bruising and tenderness on the lower part of Boy A's back as well as swelling to his right knee. The teenager also had pain in his right wrist.

The doctor said Boy A had suffered soft tissue injuries consistent with blunt force trauma. Several parts of his body had evidence of trauma, including the knee, chest and wrist.

The youths, aged 13 at the time, have pleaded not guilty to the murder of Ana (14) at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road in Lucan on May 14 last year.

One of the boys, Boy A, has also denied a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

Ana's naked body was found by gardai at the disused farmhouse three days after she was reported missing. She was last seen leaving her home with Boy B at 5pm on the day she disappeared.

It is the prosecution's case that Boy B "lured" Ana to the derelict farmhouse and then watched as the other boy sexually assaulted and murdered her.

The trial continues.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News