Alleged rapist fails to appear at trial, has not been heard from for 'three to four weeks'
An alleged rapist has failed to show up for his trial and has not been heard from for several weeks.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was due to stand trial at the Central Criminal Court this morning for rape in the Dublin area.
Counsel for the prosecution Dominic McGinn SC told the court that the accused was not present and was not expected to show up. His defence team had previously alerted gardaí that it had not heard from their client for “three to four weeks” and he had not been at his home.
Gardaí made enquiries with the social welfare services and traced the accused to a new address. An investigating garda told the court that officers have been trying to get an answer from that premises for several weeks with no success.
Defence counsel Mary Rose Gearty SC said there was currently a bench warrant for the man's arrest from the District Court.
Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy adjourned the matter until Wednesday when he will issue another bench warrant after hearing further evidence from gardaí.
“It's very unlikely he will be here, isn't it,” Mr Justice McCarthy asked.
Mr McGinn replied that “there's always an outside chance.”