GARDAI investigating the murder of dissident republican Alan Ryan expect to send a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) shortly, the Dublin coroner has heard.
The file into the death of Ryan (32) from Grange Abbey Drive in Donaghmede, Dublin 13, could be with the DPP within six weeks.
However, the solicitor representing his family at Dublin Coroner’s Court, David Thompson said it is “simply unacceptable” that it has taken gardaí so long to complete the file.
Ryan, who was a leading member of the Real IRA in Dublin and considered a significant crime figure, was gunned down on a north Dublin street in broad daylight on September 3, 2012. A gunman approached him from behind as he walked along Grange Lodge Avenue in Clongriffin with two friends, opened fire and shot him multiple times. His paramilitary-style funeral was interpreted as a show of force by the Real IRA, sparking major controversy. The father-of-one’s death is understood to have been part of an ongoing gangland feud.
The inquest into Ryan’s death was opened in October 2012 and Gardaí have sought several adjournments since then to facilitate their investigation. In February this year, they said it would take “at least” two more months before the file could be sent to the DPP and Mr Thompson told the coroner the delay was hampering the Ryan family’s right to a prompt inquiry into his death.
Updating coroner Dr Brian Farrell on the Garda progress today, Detective Inspector Ken Keelan said the position at the moment is that a file will be with the DPP "shortly". He sought a further six month adjournment of the inquest.
Mr Thompson requested a shorter adjournment saying the family is “extremely anxious” at this stage.
“My understanding is that this is arising from an arrest and detention that took place in October 2014 and the file has still not been prepared and sent to the DPP’s office almost eight months later. The family are extremely anxious at this point.
"An adjournment of six months will bring us far beyond three years since the death of Mr Ryan and it is simply unacceptable, while this inquest is held in abeyance until the director has concluded any considerations of that file, that they have to wait that long before the file is sent to the director’s office. I have written to the director and asked them to prioritise it but obviously they can do nothing until the file is received,” he said.
The dead man's brother Vincent Ryan was present in court.
DI Keelan said that, while he took Mr Thompson’s concerns “on board”, to give “the appropriate attention to get the file submitted” he would still be seeking a six-month adjournment.
Dr Farrell adjourned the hearing for further mention on October 5.