| 6.2°C Dublin

Acid attack teenager can appeal over ruling on suspects

Close

Tega Agberhiere suffered life-changing injuries

Tega Agberhiere suffered life-changing injuries

Tega Agberhiere suffered life-changing injuries

A teenager who suffered life-changing injuries in an acid attack has been granted permission by the High Court to challenge a decision which meant his attackers did not face criminal charges.

The two teenagers who attacked Tega Agberhiere (17) and his friends were admitted to the Garda Juvenile Diversion Programme, under which they received a caution.

The two, who cannot be named by order of the court, were admitted to the programme because they were under 18.

Yesterday, Tega, through his mother Christie Agberhiere, was granted permission to challenge the decision made last December to admit the teenagers to the programme.

The acid attack occurred on April 25, 2019 in Waterford.

Mr Justice Charles Meenan also granted Pádraig Sullivan (18), one of the other boys who was also injured in the acid attack, leave to mount a similar legal challenge.

Mr Justice Meenan said Mr Sullivan did not suffer as severe an injury as Tega Agberhiere, but this was "no thanks to the actions" of the two teenage perpetrators, who are notice parties to the proceedings.

Tega, a youth player for Waterford FC, suffered severe injuries to his face and body and his eyesight was damaged when an unspecified acidic substance was thrown on him.

Mr Sullivan and another youth were also injured. All three victims suffered severe skin burns in the incident.

In an affidavit, Ms Agberhiere said her son received life-changing injuries in the attack.

She said she was informed on December 10, 2019 that the two perpetrators had been dealt with by way of admission to the diversion programme.

"I was shocked and extremely upset that the case was being dealt with in this way," she said. The case comes back to court on May 19.

Irish Independent