€5.2m payout for worker left brain damaged by shock
A MAN who suffered devastating injuries from a huge electric shock while working on a building site has settled his court action for €5.2m.
Nicholas Crabbe (24) has been left brain damaged and has difficulty speaking as a result of the incident, in which a steel lamp pole he was holding became live when it came in to contact with a high voltage overhead power line.
The young man, who also now has to use a wheelchair, suffered severe burns and had to have some fingers and toes amputated.
The accident happened at the IDA industrial park outside Dundalk, Co Louth, on January 14, 2008.
The court heard that during the course of his work, the steel lamp pole came in to contact with a live overhead power line.
He later suffered two heart attacks which caused a deprivation of oxygen to the brain. He was in a coma after the incident and gradually emerged from it over a four-week period.
Counsel said Mr Crabbe was supported by his family and a marvellous mother who had given up her own work to care for her son day and night.
Through his mother Pauline, he had sued his employers AI Read Electrical Company Ltd, with offices at Lorcan Grove, Santry, Dublin, and Hydro Excavation (Ireland) Ltd, with offices at Castle Buildings, Damastown, Mulhuddart, Dublin.
He also sued the main contractor on the site, Kilwex Ltd, with offices at Pacelli House, Pacelli Road, Naas, Co Kildare. Liability was admitted.