Monday 19 August 2019

€27,500 for boy left scarred after cutting head at crèche 10 years ago

Sued crèche: Margaret O’Brien, mum of Ryan Hanley (14), of Kilteely, Co Limerick, leaving the Four Courts after her Circuit Civil Court action. Photo: Collins Courts
Sued crèche: Margaret O’Brien, mum of Ryan Hanley (14), of Kilteely, Co Limerick, leaving the Four Courts after her Circuit Civil Court action. Photo: Collins Courts

Ray Managh

A four-year-old boy who cut his forehead when he fell off a stool in a crèche has been awarded €27,500 damages 10 years after the accident.

Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke heard that Ryan Hanley, now aged 14, had been left with a permanent scar on his forehead.

Barrister Clodagh Brick, counsel for Ryan, who sued through his mother Margaret O'Brien, said the boy had been attending Newport Kids Club, Clonbealy, Newport, Co Tipperary. She said that on February 17, 2009, Ryan fell off a stool, striking his head on a sharp edge of a TV unit.

The court was told that after the accident the staff at the crèche told Ryan's mother to bring him to St John's Hospital, Limerick, where his wound was closed with tissue adhesive and steristrips.

Ms Brick said Ryan was later diagnosed with an infection of the wound, which had to be washed out and cleaned under general anaesthetic by a surgical team. He was put on a course of antibiotics.

Counsel told the court that Ryan, of Kilteely, Co Limerick, had been left with a scar on his forehead.

Judge Groarke, after inspecting the boy's forehead, said there was a noticeable mark.

Ms Brick said the defendants had made a settlement offer of €27,500.

The settlement was approved by Judge Groarke.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News