Thursday 14 November 2019

€2,600 for infant after juice drink made her sick

Ray Managh

A four-month-old baby who vomited after drinking Heinz Baby Juice has been awarded damages of €2,640 against the company.

The Circuit Civil Court heard that little Ava Bowes-Smith's mother, Amy, had afterwards noticed traces of mould in the juice bottle.

Ms Smith, of Griffith Avenue, Marino, Dublin, had sued HJ Heinz Company Limited, Hayes, Middlesex, and HJ Heinz Company (Ireland) Limited, Blackrock, Co Dublin, on behalf of baby Ava.

She told the court that she had bought the Heinz Baby Juice in Lidl, Parnell Street, Dublin, on June 23, 2011, and two days later had given some to Ava.

Ava had started vomiting and on checking the Heinz bottle she had noticed there were lumps of mould in the juice.

The bottle was within its 'use-by' date and she believed the drink had made her baby ill.

Barrister Conor Kearney told Judge Matthew Deery that Ava had been taken to Temple Street Children's Hospital Dublin by her mother.

Ava, now aged two, had been assessed and was well-looking and hydrated. She had not vomited while in hospital and was discharged on the same day.

Mr Ikechukwu Okafor, a consultant in paediatric emergency medicine, stated in a medical report that Ava's vomiting could have been an adverse reaction to the offending juice and was unlikely to have any ongoing medical consequence for her.

Mr Kearney said the Injuries Board had assessed damages at €2,640.

Judge Deery approved the assessment.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News