Saturday 18 November 2017

€15,000 for bin man who feared blindness after eyes were burned

By Ray Managh

A 30-YEAR-OLD bin man, who thought he would go blind when he burned his eyes with hot oil after cables broke at the rear of a garbage truck, was today awarded €15,500 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

Barrister John Sweetman told the court that in July 2011, Kamil Kozlowski, who had been collecting bins in Sandyford Road, Co Dublin, was at the back of the truck when hydraulic cables broke.

 

Kozlowski said his eyes were sprayed with hot oil and he was unable to see anything. First aid had been applied by ambulance men who were quickly on the scene before taking him to the Royal Victoria Eye & Ear Hospital, Dublin.

 

Judge Alison Lindsay heard that Kozlowski, of The Academy Building, Park West Point, Dublin, was in pain and was afraid he would go blind. His eyes had been rinsed at the hospital and he was prescribed eye drops.

 

He had felt pain in his left eye for several weeks and his vision had been blurred for some time. He had been unable to drive and had been out of work for a week. His injury had cleared up after a month.

 

He sued his employer, Panda Waste Services Ltd, of Newbridge House, Athlumney, Navan, Co Meath, for negligence and breach of duty.

 

Mr Sweetman told Judge Lindsay that the court was asked to assess damages only. The judge awarded him €15,565 damages.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News