Saturday 21 April 2018

Convicted criminal 'Fat' Freddie Thompson 'had blood on clothes' when arrested last night

Davy Byrne, who was murdered in the Regency Hotel last Friday, was a cousin of Thompson's

Freddie Thompson
Freddie Thompson

Crime Correspondent

CONVICTED criminal ‘Fat’ Freddie Thompson had blood on his tracksuit bottoms and runners when he was arrested by gardai less than three hours after the murder of Eddie Hutch last night.

Thompson (35) was arrested following a high-speed chase with gardai, which began in the Crumlin area at around 10.30pm.

The drama unfolded when a red Audi A5 was spotted by detectives leaving the family home of Thompson’s murdered cousin, David Byrne, in Raleigh Square, Crumlin.

The car was being driven by Freddie’s first cousin Liam Roe.

Read more: In Profile: Two generations of Hutch crime dynasty

Gardai attempted to pull the vehicle over on the Crumlin Road but the car allegedly failed to stop, which led to a pursuit into the city centre with armed officers following the car.

Eddie Hutch Snr (59)
Eddie Hutch Snr (59)

The chase eventually ended in the Cork Street area where gardai arrested Roe and Thompson. The two criminals were then brought to Kevin Street Garda Station for the purpose of a drugs search.

Sources say that officers noticed that there was blood on Thompson’s tracksuit bottoms and runners, and these clothing items were then seized by gardai.

It is understood that forensic testing of the items will take place today to determine whose blood was on the runners and tracksuit. When no drugs were found on the cousins, they were released without charge by gardai.

Neither of the criminals were wearing bulletproof vests.

Thompson has been back in Ireland since Friday night, when he jetted into the capital from Amsterdam.

He had fled there in early January with the male teenager who is the chief suspect for murdering tragic Lorcan O’Reilly in November.

Sources say he was “summoned” back to Ireland by the Kinahan cartel after the murder of  David Byrne (34) in the shocking gun attack at the Regency Hotel.

David Byrne
David Byrne

He was spotted visiting Byrne’s family home on Saturday with Daniel Kinahan and both these men, along with a number of other senior gangsters, attended a ‘war summit’ in a south inner city pub on Saturday night.

It is believed that it was at this meeting that the plan to murder Eddie Hutch was formulated.

After his release from jail last August, it emerged that Thompson had fallen out of favour with the Kinahan cartel and had been effectively disowned by them.

He fled to England and was said to be in a “deeply isolated” position.

When his former best pal, Gary Hutch, was shot dead in Spain’s ‘Costa Del Crime’ last September, it was widely believed that Thompson would be the next to be targeted by the cartel.

However, it is believed that during the Christmas period Thompson and the cartel made up and he is now back in favour with the mob’s overlords.

His cousin Liam Roe (35) has been a long-time pal of the cartel and survived an attempted assassination in November as part of the feud which has led to two gun murders in the space of just four days in Dublin.

Read more: Archbishop appeals to 'mothers and grandmothers' of gangs to intervene

He miraculously escaped with his life after a would-be assassin’s gun jammed outside the Red Cow Hotel on November 7.

Roe was taking a cigarette break outside the hotel, where he was attending a boxing fundraiser. It is understood that the handgun jammed and Roe ran for cover before up to 50 associates of the Kinahan mob fled the venue. Roe was also present at last Friday’s hotel bloodbath but was uninjured in the shocking gun attack.

As tensions in the city spiral out of control, it is believed that both Roe and Thompson are prime targets for the gang connected to slain Gary Hutch.

Both are expected to be prominent mourners at the funeral of their criminal cousin David Byrne.

Gardai are expected to draw-up a major security plan for this event – with fears that rival gangsters may use the occasion to carry out another gun attack.

Roe and Thompson are extremely well known to gardai and have been arrested on numerous occasions.

Freddie’s most serious brush with the law happened when he served a 15-month sentence for violent disorder after an attack on another man at Morrissey’s Pub on Cork Street on January 7, 2013.

He was extradited from Amsterdam in May, 2014, and was immediately remanded in custody before he eventually received a 20-month sentence for his involvement in the vicious bar brawl.

Read more: Gardaí say 'give us back our machine guns' after brutal murder of 'soft target' Eddie Hutch


Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News