Saturday 24 March 2018

Concern grows for driver of car left at clifftop

Pat Flynn

Gardai attempting to make contact with the driver of a car found abandoned at the Cliffs of Moher two days ago now fear he may have fallen his death.

The car was first seen in the carpark at the world-famous attraction on Wednesday night. The alarm was raised when it was still there the following day.

Gardai had to use force to get into the car in an effort to find paperwork that could help to identify the driver.

It is understood the man, a Polish national who lived in Bray, Co Wicklow, left work on Tuesday and told colleagues he would not be returning.

The car is understood to have been bought earlier in the week and it is believed his wife recently returned to Poland.

The Doolin unit of the Irish Coast Guard (ICG) carried out searches in the area on Thursday and again yesterday but have found no trace of the missing man. The Shannon-based ICG rescue helicopter took part in the search on Thursday.

A garda spokesman said: "We located a car in the carpark at the Cliffs of Moher but we have been unable to contact or locate the driver.

Searches have been ongoing in the local area, however, there has been no sign of this man."

Coast Guard volunteers have been carrying out water-based searches while teams have been scouring the shoreline and cliff-top.

Fields near the cliffs have been searched.

The search was due to resume early today.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News