Wednesday 21 March 2018

Clinton Shannon profiled: Innocent locksmith killed in car was due to celebrate birthday today

Clinton Shannon
Clinton Shannon
Paramedics tend to a victim at the scene. Photo: Collins

Robin Schiller and Ken Foy

The young man who was shot dead in a horrific double gangland murder in north Dublin was due to celebrate his 31st birthday today.

Clinton Shannon (30) was killed as he sat in a vehicle on Balbutcher Drive shortly before 4pm on Wednesday afternoon.

Gardaí on Balbutcher Drive, Ballymun, yesterday. Photo: Kyran O’Brien
Gardaí on Balbutcher Drive, Ballymun, yesterday. Photo: Kyran O’Brien

Mr Shannon was a locksmith by trade and had no involvement in criminality.

Moments before the brutal attack, he arrived at the property in a vehicle with the intended target, Derek 'Bottler' Devoy (37).

Locals in the Swords apartment block where Mr Shannon lived described him as a "friendly" man.

A source last night said that Mr Shannon was not involved in criminality but was a friend of the intended target of the attack.

Antoinette Corbally-Devoy. Photo: Collins
Antoinette Corbally-Devoy. Photo: Collins
Derek Devoy

The second victim of Wednesday's atrocity was mother-of-six Antoinette Corbally-Devoy (48), who is a sister of 'Bottler' Devoy.

The innocent woman was killed as she stood in the hallway of her home on Balbutcher Drive.

Her brother, Michael 'Mickey' Devoy (41), was shot dead in January 2014, just a day after being released from prison.

Ms Corbally-Devoy's pregnant daughter, Andrea (18), was also injured after a bullet grazed her. The fourth victim, Brian Moran (52), was shot in the leg and was last night being treated at the Mater Hospital.

The innocent bystander did not even realise he had suffered a gunshot wound initially.

A young toddler also suffered minor head injuries after being dropped by 'Bottler' Devoy as he fled the property.

A grandmother living in the area described how she had attempted to resuscitate Mr Shannon after he was shot a number of times by two gunmen.

The elderly woman told the Irish Independent that she was in her garden when she heard "at least 20 shots" being fired.

"I saw him lying there and knew he was in a very bad way, but then I heard people shouting about a girl shot inside her house.

"I kept doing CPR on him to try and keep him alive in the best way I could.

"He had a very faint pulse and when a guard came on to the scene he started helping me.

"The paramedics were telling us over the phone to turn him over.

"But the moment we did the life just went out of him and we both knew he was gone.

"I knew there was nothing else I could do for him," she added.

Post-mortem examinations were carried out on both of the murder victims yesterday afternoon.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News