Friday 17 November 2017

Charity donations drop 17pc after Haiti appeal

Gordon Deegan

PUBLIC donations to Concern dropped by 17pc last year following a huge response to the crisis in Haiti in 2010.

The charity's annual report also reveals it has borrowed €8m to expand its Dublin headquarters, although the loan was taken out over five years ago.

The 2011 report also shows that one unidentified member of staff earns between €125,000 and €135,000. Average pay for seven senior executives is just under €100,000.

The annual report for 2011 shows the aid agency's spend topped €160.3m last year, a 6pc rise on the previous year.

However, public donations dropped by 17pc.

Generated

Public donations accounted for 31pc, or €50.3m, of the €160.3m generated.

The management team is made up of chief executive Tom Arnold, deputy chief executive and chief operations officer Jim Hynes, and UK executive director Rose Caldwell.

Other members are director of public affairs Richard Dixon, strategy, advocacy and learning director Connell Foley, overseas director Paul O'Brien, and human resources director Louise Supple.

Spending has risen by 27pc since 2007, when it stood at €125.7m. It has budgeted for overseas expenditure of €123m this year.

The Haitian appeal boosted donations in 2010.

The report says the fall in donations the following year was "broadly in line with expectations".

"Outside of the income raised from emergency responses, public donations decreased slightly when compared to 2010," it said.

It said the charity's income "continued to be affected by the difficult and uncertain global economic environment".

Concern last night said a mortgage was taken out to expand the charity's headquarters around 2006.

"It's a mortgage and there's still an amount outstanding on it," said director of public affairs Richard Dixon.

"We took competent advice at the time to ensure we made the best decisions on an appropriate headquarters for the charity.

"We believe it was the best decision to make at the time, rather than renting two additional properties," Mr Dixon added.

Globally, the charity increased the number it employed last year by 269 from 3,176 to 3,445. However, staff costs dropped from €12.47m to €12.3m.

The largest source of funding for Concern is the EU which contributed €32.7m last year.

The Irish Government contributed €24.4m and the UK government gave €11.7m.

Concern also increased its spend on charitable activities last year by 7pc from €138.5m to €148.6m.

The additional €10m spent on charitable activities resulted in the charity recording a loss of €70,000 last year, compared to a surplus of €16.3m.

The cost of generating funds last year declined from €11.4m to €10.7m, while income from wills fell from €3.2m to €2.5m.

The highest spend by the charity last year was in Pakistan, where €25m was utilised.

It also provided relief in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Burundi, Cambodia, Chad, India, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Niger, Pakistan, Rwanda, Republic of Sudan and Sudan South, Tanzania and Zimbabwe.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News