News Irish News

Friday 19 January 2018

Carbon monoxide tests on homes after family falls ill

Greg Harkin

FIRE safety experts will today carry out tests on homes in an estate where a family of four were treated for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The couple and their two children were treated at Sligo General Hospital after complaining of dizziness.

It came less than a month after a family of three from Gurteen, Co Sligo, died after a chimney blocked by a crisp wrapper sent the fumes into their living room. Trevor Wallwork (50) and his children, Kim (12) and Harry (9), died in the incident on December 18.

The latest scare happened on the Silver Hill estate in Bundoran, Co Donegal.

"New solid-fuel stoves were installed in these homes very recently and tests have already been carried out and more are due to take place," said Mick Concannon, western regional director of the Cluid Housing Association, which owns the 46-home development.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News