Cannabis ruled out as women come out of mystery coma
Gardai are now satisfied that two women who were admitted to hospital in a serious condition did not smoke a contaminated batch of cannabis.
Both women were recovering last night and were said to be stable after coming out of comas.
Fresh toxicology tests on samples taken from them indicated that smoking cannabis was not a major factor in either case.
One of the women is now thought to have been inhaling a deodorant and this is likely to have been more significant in creating her medical problems.
The tests on the other woman have not yet been completed.
However, it has been confirmed that both had taken cannabis before becoming seriously ill.
Last night, Fidelma Morgan, the mother of Samantha Morgan (24), said her daughter's condition was improving and she had opened her eyes.
"Just say a prayer. I'm hopeful. It is looking good," she said.
She added that they would not know more "until she actually starts talking".
Her aunt, Pauline Morgan, said they had travelled over from the UK to be at her bedside as Samantha, the mother of a seven-month-old baby boy JJ, made a recovery in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.
She said they did not know where the cannabis had come from but she hoped her sister highlighting the issue would help catch the person responsible for dealing in it.
Her aunt described Samantha, who is originally from Yellowbatter in Drogheda, as simply a young mother "trying to get on with her life" and raise her "gorgeous" son.
Neighbours of Alannah Molloy (23) in St Oliver's Park in Kilsaran village, near Castlebellingham, Co Louth, said they had heard her condition was also improving.
Her grandmother, Bridie Molloy, said her beloved granddaughter, who also has a young child, had now been taken off the ventilator.
"She is talking and everything. It is good news and some of the prayers for her worked."
She said they had not asked her about the circumstances of how she came to be unwell. "There is time enough for that. We are all delighted, thank God," she said.
Fears that contaminated cannabis could have been responsible for their illnesses grew after initial toxicology tests on samples taken from the two women at the hospital.
But fresh tests on Ms Morgan showed that abusing the aerosol was the likely cause of damage to her respiratory system. She was taken to the hospital at around 4.30am on Wednesday
Ms Molloy was taken to the hospital on Monday night. The two women are not connected.