Brendan Howlin: Metering to go ahead as ‘severe’ water restrictions begin in Dublin, Wicklow and Kildare
PUBLIC Expenditure Minister Brendan Howlin insisted water metering would still go ahead after severe restrictions on supplies will begin across Dublin and surrounding area.
Dublin City Council warned homes and businesses would experience lower water pressure and a loss of supply from 8pm tonight until 7am, with conservation measures continuing for the rest of the week.
At Government buildings, Mr Howlin insisted water metering was a part of the "overhaul" of the supply.
He insisted Irish Water, the biggest State company, since the establishment of the ESB would be formally established on January 1 next.
"They will be tasked with a very significant capital budget to ensure there is adequate water supply," he said.
Mr Howlin said the responsibility for the water supplies had been too spread out amongst the local authorities.
He said a "world class service" would have to be paid for.
"I think there has to be an understanding that like the ESB or any other service, if you don't get the service you don't pay for it," he said.
The move to conserve water across the four Dublin Local Authorities follows a "serious production problem" at the Ballymore Eustace Water Treatment.
The council said the nightly restrictions would likely lead to a loss of supply.
"We are working assiduously to identify the cause of the problem and to mitigate the effects, but it may take some time to completely resolve the issue," a council spokesman said.
A spokesperson for Dublin City Council told independent.ie that it will not be providing tankers "at this time" to areas that are most affected by restricted water supply.
In relation to pubs and restaurants, she said: "Most restaurants would have tankers for themselves, and because the restrictions are in place at 8pm, by the time the tank has emptied it'll be later in the evening."
"We're monitoring it on an ongoing basis but we're not providing tankers today."
By Louise Hogan