News Irish News

Monday 19 March 2018

Boyle fire: man arrested in connection with blaze reporters

Gardai investigating the fatal house fire in Boyle, Co Roscommon believe the fire was started maliciously and have arrested a male in his 30s.

The man was arrested in the Sligo area, Gardai confirmed today.

Tragic five-year-old Mari Connolly died in the blaze on Monday morning.

Post-mortem results yesterday confirmed that the junior infant student died of carbon monoxide poising.

Her father, Richard Connolly, is in the Mater Hospital in Dublin after he saved the lives of her sisters Naomi (6) and Lauren (8) by jumping out of the top window of the house.

He sustained a broken back while the girls also suffered from smoke inhalation.

Teresa Kane, the mother of the children and Mr Connolly's former partner, gave birth to twin girls in Sligo General hospital on Saturday.

On Monday she laid a tribute to her daughter outside the burnt-out house.

The twins, who she named Ava and Layla, remained in the hospital.

Gardai at Boyle garda station have appealed for anyone with any information to contact them on 071-9662344

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News