| 15.3°C Dublin

Boy gets €4,000 as faulty cooker causes sickness

A SCHOOLBOY who suffered a traumatic asthma attack sparked by a fire from a faulty cooker has settled a lawsuit for more than €4,000.

Peter Knowles, who was six at the time, suffered an asthma attack due to smoke inhalation when a faulty Beko cooker caught fire on February 27, 2011, the Circuit Civil Court heard.

He sued Power City Ltd, of Boghall Road, Bray, Co Wicklow, along with Beko PLC, of The Hub Logistics Park, Bracetown, Clonee, Co Meath, through his mother Jennifer Knowles.

The cooker was sold at a Power City outlet.

Mr Justice Matthew Deery heard that the boy, of Pinebrook Vale, Huntstown, Dublin, was treated with steroids and inhalants when he attended his physician the following day.

The judge accepted a settlement of €4,500 reached between the two parties.

A spokeswoman for Beko said the manufacturer was aware of the incident and described it as "a once-off".

Irish Independent