Boy (3) in critical condition in hospital after Paw Patrol foam soap 'explodes' in bath
A three-year-old child is in critical condition in hospital after a cannister of ‘Paw Patrol’ soap product reportedly "exploded" while he was in the bath.
The little boy is currently in the Belfast Royal Victoria Hospital after being transferred from Altnagelvin Hospital.
His distressed aunt shared details of the incident in a bid to warn others.
She said: "Our nephew was in the bath tonight (Wednesday) with this ‘Paw Patrol’ Foam Soap and it exploded," she said.
"He’s been rushed to the hospital and has to go to the Royal. Please please keep him in your thoughts and prayers, he’s only three."
A spokesman for the Belfast Trust on Friday morning confirmed that a boy was in a "critical" condition.
Former SDLP MLA Pat Ramsey said he had been speaking to the family who were "distraught".
They are currently at the child’s side in hospital.
Mr Ramsey said: "I was asked by the family to warn people of the dangers of these spray foams.
"It’s a horrible time for them. You think something such as foam soap for a child would be a very innocent object, but has clearly become a lethal weapon and caused this damage to the poor child.
"Something needs to be done as a matter of urgency. They need to be taken off the shelves. This is really devastating for them."
He added that the canned soap product was "readily available" but that "something clearly has went dramatically wrong here".
He added: "The child’s aunt has been in contact with me and she just keeps saying ‘it just exploded while he was in the bath’," he said.
A spokesperson for Nickelodeon, which broadcasts the popular children’s TV show, said: "We are terribly sorry to hear about this dreadful incident. We are gathering more information about the licensed product involved."
Animated series ‘Paw Patrol’ tells the story of a group of dogs and their heroic rescues.