Boy (12) tells of fireworks nightmare
A 12-year-old boy has spoken of his terror when a firework "exploded" in his face after it was thrown at him by a group of teenagers.
The schoolboy, pictured heavily bandaged, has been left permanently disfigured after suffering second degree burns to his face, neck and arms.
A 'black cat' banger struck him on the face while he was out trick-or-treating with friends on Halloween night in the Deerpark estate in Tallaght.
The boy, speaking from his hospital bed, said: "These guys threw this banger at my face."
He added: "There were three lads around 17 years old, and they were real tall. And they just threw it at me.
"It exploded in my face. It was very painful and very sore.
"I've got scars and marks on my face now," he said.
His mother, a native of Nigeria, said: "I'm very disappointed by what happened. He's very very lucky that he did not lose his eye.
"I don't let my children go trick or treating -- but I did let him go last night."
The young boy was out with a friend when the incident occurred.
"When it happened, it was like a big ball of flames hitting him in the face," explained his friend Shay Lyons (11).
"When I saw his face, I drove him down to his mother's house," said Shay's mum, Deirdre Begley.
"When we got there, his mother saw him and started screaming."
The boy is recovering in the burns unit of Our Lady's Hospital in Crumlin, where he met with a plastic surgeon yesterday.