Friday 20 April 2018

Bomb attack 'aimed to kill innocents'

Armed police seal off the Cathedral Quarter after a small explosion in Belfast city centre.
Armed police seal off the Cathedral Quarter after a small explosion in Belfast city centre.

David Young

A bomb explosion in the centre of Belfast on one of the city's busiest nights of the year was an attempt to kill innocents, Stormont's Justice Minister said.

David Ford joined Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers in condemning the attack in the city's bustling Cathedral Quarter district -- a blast blamed on dissident republicans.

Hundreds of people were in the process of being evacuated from bars and restaurants packed with Christmas partygoers, when the device detonated just before 7pm last night. There were no reports of any injuries.

There had been a security operation ongoing at the time, prompted by a telephone warning to a Belfast newsroom.

Police described the explosion as "small" but said they could not yet say what sort of bomb it was. The device was in a box that was left on a pavement.

Security has been ramped up in the city since a man was forced by masked dissidents to drive a car bomb to a shopping centre that faces a police station last month. It only partially exploded and no one was hurt.

"Yet again, we see a reckless attempt to kill and injure innocent people in Belfast," Mr Ford said. "The people carrying out these attacks have explained no cause for their acts of senseless violence. Their only aim seems to be to injure and disrupt."

Ms Villiers said it was a "deplorable" attack on the people of Belfast.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News