Saturday 24 February 2018

Body of missing man found in drain

Father of one not seen since November

Tom Brady Security Editor

A man whose body was found face down in a drain near a railway line yesterday has been identified as a missing Dubliner.

A post-mortem examination will be carried out at Naas hospital today to establish how 30-year-old Jason O'Dea died.

He went missing on November 27 although his disappearance was not reported to gardai until December 7.

Gardai said last night they were keeping an open mind on the cause of death, pending the outcome of the post-mortem this morning.

There were no visible marks on the body when it was initially examined by the deputy state pathologist and it had been well preserved by the cold weather.

Gardai disclosed that one possibility under investigation last night was that Mr O'Dea might have fallen from a train travelling from Dublin to Mullingar.

His body was discovered yesterday at around 10.30am by a farmer walking his land at Moyvalley, Broadford, Co Kildare.

It was found lying in a drain that runs alongside the railway line. A train ticket to Mullingar was found in Mr O'Dea's pocket. Originally from the Dublin southside suburb of Drimnagh, Mr O'Dea had been living recently in accommodation at Buckingham Street Lower in the north inner city.

He was regularly seen on the streets of the inner city and was known to have developed a drug problem.

Gardai said he was known to them but was not a serious criminal.

It is understood he is the father of a teenage girl.

When last seen he had been wearing dark jeans, a white jumper and a white jacket with dark bands. He was described as 5ft 6in tall, slightly built, with brown hair and green eyes.

Gardai have made several appeals in recent weeks to anyone with knowledge about his movements to contact Store Street garda station.

Officers from Leixlip launched an investigation after the body was found and a section of the field was sealed off while they awaited the arrival of forensic experts.

The body had been in the drain for some time and last night gardai were using the ticket found in Mr O'Dea's pocket to help them identify the trains that travelled along the Dublin to Mullingar route on the day of his death.

Officers hope to speak to Iarnrod Eireann staff who were working on the train that day to establish if Mr O'Dea could have fallen from the train and then made his way into the field before collapsing into the ditch.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News