News Irish News

Tuesday 21 January 2020

Body-in-bog accused said 'I'm sorry' when charged

Bruno Lemes de Sousa
Bruno Lemes de Sousa
Accused John Paul Cawley.
Accused Wenio Rodrigues da Silva.
Majella O'Sullivan

Majella O'Sullivan

AN UNEMPLOYED man accused of murdering a Brazilian man at a remote bog told gardai he was "sorry" when charged with the offence.

John Paul Cawley (19) and farm labourer Wenio Rodrigues da Silva (28), both with addresses at Ardoughter, Ballyduff, Co Kerry, appeared at Newcastle West District Court yesterday.

They were charged with the murder of Bruno Lemes de Sousa (28) at Shronowen bog, Tullamore, Listowel, Co Kerry, on a date between February 16 and March 10, 2012.

Mr De Sousa's body was found on the north Kerry bog on Sunday afternoon, following a planned search by gardai.

The two men have been in garda custody since Sunday.

Mr Da Silva was charged at Listowel garda station on Monday night in the presence of his solicitor. He made no reply to the charges. Mr Cawley was arrested at Tralee garda station and later charged with the murder of Mr De Sousa in Listowel.

Detective Sergeant John Heaslip told the court that in reply to the charge, Mr Cawley said: "I'm sorry."

An application for legal aid was made on their behalf. Solicitor Pat Enright said Mr Da Silva was a part-time farm worker of limited means.

Helena O'Carroll, acting for Mr Cawley, said her client had been in receipt of welfare benefits but had not been entitled to payment for a number of weeks and did not have any means or assets.


She also made an application that Mr Cawley continues to receive daily medication for epilepsy. Judge Mary O'Halloran remanded both men in custody to Friday's sitting of Kilmallock District Court, Co Limerick. Gardai upgraded their investigation to a murder inquiry on Monday night, following direction from the DPP.

Mr De Sousa, who was originally from Brazil, had been missing from his home in Gort, Co Galway, since February 16.

A post-mortem examination was carried out at Kerry General Hospital on Monday evening but gardai say they are not releasing the results for operational reasons.

However, it is understood that Mr De Sousa had been beaten and stabbed.

As part of their investigations, gardai sealed off a rented house at Ardoughter, Ballyduff, about 18km from where the body was discovered.

Two cars parked outside the house, a red Opel Tigra and a silver Opel Vectra, were also impounded as part of the investigation.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News