Saturday 20 January 2018

Body found near farm

THE body of a man who had been missing for over a week has been found close to his farm.

Gerard Tierney (pictured) of Smithboro, Co Monagahan, had been missing since last Thursday. The remains were discovered yesterday afternoon in a slurry storage facility on the family farm close to 40-year-old's house in Kilcorran. Gardai said the case was being treated as a "tragic accident."


GARDAI are seeking the public's help in tracing a missing teenager.

Maggie McDonagh (15) was last seen at around 7pm on Monday in Swords, north Dublin. She is described as being 5ft 2in with long black hair and blue eyes. When last seen she was wearing a black top, black leggings and black shoes. Gardai believe she may have travelled to Dublin city centre, including the Smithfield area. Anyone with information is asked to contact Swords garda station on 01 6664700 or the Garda Confidential Telephone Line on 1800 666111.


The Cabinet is expected to discuss the forthcoming Budget at its first meeting since the summer break.

The last meeting was at the end of July, as the Government managed to get the abortion bill through the Dail and Seanad. Today's meeting in Government Buildings at 10am is expected to include discussions on the Budget on October 15 and the Dail reform package, promised if the Seanad is abolished.


GARDAI are investigating the destruction of two renowned pieces of public sculpture.

The vandalism to the two pieces of wooden artwork in the Co Longford village of Newtowncashel in recent days has dismayed locals and art lovers. One of the pieces, a group of birds, was created by local sculptor Michael Casey and had stood in the village since the early 1990s. The second piece, installed at the local national school, was erected 30 years ago.


The cause of a gorse fire in Waterford is under investigation.

Four units of the fire brigade fought a blaze that broke out in the Sallypark part of the city at Ferrybank. The fire began at about 8.30pm on Tuesday on a hill behind the golf course near Newrath. Firefighters put out the blaze at 4am, but the gorse caught fire again and had to be extinguished a second time.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News