Those bad hair days are set to continue. The country's 30,000 hairdressers and barbers won't be returning to business before the middle of July.
The decision not to green-light hair salons to open until phase four - the second last of five - has sparked concerns that an underground black market will spring up with serious health implications.
Last night, there were warnings of the spectre of mobile hairdressers moving indiscriminately in and out of people's homes and causing cross-contamination.
"This move is not just dangerous, it is an explosive decision and we would urge the Minister for Health and the Taoiseach to reconsider these timelines for the sake of people's health," said Ciaran Nevin who has a hair salon in Terenure and in the Merrion Hotel.
"The public have already been irresponsible in asking hairdressers to go to their homes to cut their hair and black-market hairdressing runs much higher risks of spreading Covid-19 into households as it is not in a controlled environment," he said.
Last month he invited local Terenure artist Joanne Murphy to paint a 'bad hair day' mural on the window of his closed salon with the positive message of "hang on in there, we'll be back".
Responding to the news last night, Mr Nevin said no other country had put hairdressing to the end of reopening businesses and services.
"They put it on the primary stage because they knew this underground hairdressing would happen," he said.
He said the Irish Hairdressing Federation, which submitted a detailed proposal to Government this week on re-opening the hair dressing sector, had warned if salons did not open and travel restrictions on movement were lifted, a black market in hairdressing would take hold.
Mr Nevin teamed up with Richard and Paul Dromgoole of Zeba Hairdressing to draw up detailed proposals for the re-opening of salons in which they outline protection procedures for both customer and staff safety.
The document said they hoped to be part of the gradual reopening of the services industry and said: "If hair salons, on a very limited scale, should be permitted to open, there would be an industry campaign and guidelines to ensure strict and thorough social distancing and the following of all Government and HSE guidelines".
Dylan Bradshaw, who has a salon on Dublin's South William Street, admitted he was "devastated" at the news salons would remain closed and warned it could destroy the industry.
"What they have done is they have given the black market a massive shot in the arm.
"These guys are going to be revered as heroes coming into people's homes because people are desperate to have their hair done," Mr Bradshaw said.
"I cannot forecast what is coming down the line or if there is going to be spike.
"But what I can say is Covid-19 isn't going anywhere and we have to learn to live with it and be able to protect ourselves in the workplace and our clients, and trade in a safe environment rather than people going to somebody's home and just doing it with a mask over their face and cross contaminating venues
"At least if you are in a secure premises, we have controlled environments where we can take care of our clients and each other."
Looking at the international experience in terms of hair salons opening back up, Mr Bradshaw said Italy and Spain - which were the worst hit countries in Europe in terms of death tolls - would be back in business on June 1.