News Irish News

Friday 15 December 2017

Beko issues fresh recall of potentially lethal cookers

Greg Harkin

A COOKER manufacturer has re-issued its public recall appeal after the deaths of three people from carbon monoxide poisoning.

A 21-year-old student died in Co Cork in November 2008 and two pensioners in Co Donegal died 10 months later from fumes from faulty Beko-made gas cookers.

On Friday a jury in Letterkenny returned a verdict of death by misadventure in the deaths of Annie 'Nana' Gallagher (84) and Sally McDyre (79) who died on September 24, 2009, at Mrs Gallagher's home in Glenties, Co Donegal.

Beko said it wished to offer condolences to the families of all those who had died which included three other victims in the UK but now wished to trace 1,350 cookers sold in Ireland which have never been found during several recall notices.

"If the grill door is closed when the grill burner is in use, an unsafe build-up of carbon monoxide can occur which can be fatal," admitted the company in a statement to the Irish Independent yesterday.

"This risk can be eliminated by a simple modification, carried out by our service engineers free of charge."

The company said tests it had commissioned showed the cookers are safe if operated with the grill door open.

However, an independent consultant told the inquest last week that he found "worrying levels" of carbon monoxide emitting from Mrs Gallagher's cooker when he carried out tests with the grill door open.

A Beko spokesman said the new appeal was aimed particularly at landlords or letting agents who may not have been aware of its publicity campaign.

Beko issued a call centre number -- 1800 25 29 25 -- for consumers to contact them if they have purchased a gas cooker in their range or under Flavia or New World brands. A list of appliances is also on www.beko.ie.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News