Wednesday 13 December 2017

Bachelor dies after fire at his home

Eoghan MacConnell

GARDAI are investigating a house fire in which a man died.

The blaze broke out around lunchtime yesterday at the house on Weaver's Row in Moate, Co Westmeath.

The dead man was named as Noel Jones, a bachelor in his early 60s who lived alone. It is understood that his sister had visited him a short time before the fire broke out, and had brought him a meal.

Mr Jones was taken to the Midland Regional Hospital at Tullamore where a post-mortem was due to be held.

Early indications suggested the fire was a tragic accident, Superintendent Aidan Glacken said. Among the lines of inquiry being undertaken is that a cigarette may have started the blaze.

Gardai are awaiting the results of the post-mortem. It is understood that Mr Jones's dog also died in the fire.

Local councillor Tom Allen (FF) described Mr Jones as "very well liked" in Moate. "It is so sad at this time of year for something like this to happen. My sympathies go out to Noel's family," he remarked.

While the cause of yesterday's fire has yet to be established, Supt Glacken urged all homeowners to be "extra vigilant" at this time of year.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News