Assault on Asian man
GARDAI said they have no indication a street attack on an elderly Asian man was racially motivated. The attack, in Togher, in Cork city, left the 75-year-old with a suspected fractured cheekbone.
Gardai said they suspect the incident was a random attack by a man in his 20s, who punched the pensioner – who has lived in Ireland since the 1960s – in the face at a bus stop.
Lawyers for a man charged in connection with an alleged surveillance operation on the Dublin headquarters of a number of specialist garda units are seeking the disclosure of more evidence before a date for trial can be set, the Special Criminal Court has heard.
Corey Mulhall (41) of Daletree Court, Ballycullen, Dublin 24, was arrested in September last year after detectives observed suspicious activity at a hotel close to Harcourt Square garda station. The case was adjourned until March 22.
Magician in TV appeal
MAGICIAN Keith Barry and his family hope that a television appeal will provide answers about the mysterious death of his grandfather.
Paddy Barry (82), a former post office worker, died shortly after a burglary at his home in Mount Sion Avenue, in Waterford city, on September 16, 2009. Shortly before his death, he rang and reported the burglary to Waterford garda station.
Patricks go for record
HUNDREDS of people are to dress up as Ireland's patron saint in an attempt to break the world record for the most St Patricks in one place.
The 'Parade of Patricks' is part of a new arts initiative led by actor and 'Killinaskully' co-writer Mike Finn, which will form part of this year's St Patrick's Day Parade in Limerick. The existing world record of 207 is held by Kilrush, in Co Clare.
Sawmill jobs warning
THE Government has been warned that all 10 of Ireland's sawmills could close with the loss of 2,500 jobs if lucrative forest harvesting rights are sold off.
The Irish Timber Council (ITC) said the proposed sale by Coillte of the rights to another investor would put those jobs at serious risk. Fears for the industry's future were revealed in a report by the timber council as the issue was debated in the Dail, amid proposals to sell off the harvesting rights for an estimated €600m. Irish Timber Council chairman Pat Glennon warned that the Government needed to look at the proposals "extremely carefully" before making any decision.