Asbestos fears sees locals warned to stay indoors after massive warehouse fire
Residents were warned to remain indoors in a Co Wicklow town after a massive blaze at a warehouse sent asbestos into the air.
Emergency services responded to reports of a fire at an old shipyard on South Quay, Arklow.
The fire broke out about 10am yesterday after locals reported sounds of a large explosion at the facility.
Firefighters from Arklow, Wicklow and Rathdrum rushed to the scene to tackle the major incident. Local businesses were closed as asbestos fumes were carried in the air currents.
The fire was eventually brought under control at 4pm, but emergency services remained at the cordoned-off scene to monitor the situation.
The HSE was notified due to the warehouse being constructed with asbestos.
It is understood that the building was an old shipyard commissioned to build and house the Asgard II training ship. It is currently used to store card packaging.
Officers from Arklow Garda Station are investigating the blaze.
Meanwhile, there was major traffic disruption caused in Dublin city centre yesterday afternoon following a domestic fire at an abandoned building.
Residents in a semi-detached house on Upper Gardiner Street were alerted to the blaze when a fireman banged on their door and said they had to leave for their safety.
A Dublin Fire Brigade spokesperson confirmed that four units and a turntable attended the scene. The first call was received at 2.46pm.
The blaze was brought under control after 3pm, with the street reopened a short time later.