Saturday 16 November 2019

Army blows up scrapyard shell

AN old artillery shell that was found in a scrap metal yard in Ranelagh on the southside of Dublin has been made safe by an Army bomb disposal team. The Defence Forces team was called to the yard by gardai after the badly corroded shell was found by an employee while examining scrap that had been handed in by a member of the public.

The yard was sealed off shortly after lunchtime yesterday as the ordnance experts examined the shell before making it safe for removal. It was taken to a military location where it was destroyed in a controlled explosion.

Tiernan second to U2 in ticket sales

COMEDIAN Tommy Tiernan says hard work has made him second only to U2 for live ticket sales in Ireland. The online comedians' bible 'Chortle' lists the Navan comic as the second most popular live act in Ireland after rock star Bono and his bandmates.

The father of five has been one of the most prolific stand-up stars in the country over the past decade. Tiernan said: "I gig in Ireland four nights a week, 50 weeks of the year, while U2 play once every decade or so and they're still first on the tickets list. There is a huge difference."

Stolen chalice found in hedge

A CHALICE stolen from a priest's car while he celebrated Mass has been found dumped in a ditch almost six weeks after it was taken. Fr Kevin McNamara was saying evening Mass in the rural Kerry parish of Gneeveguilla on September 25 when his car was broken into.

A smaller ciborium, clerical vestments and religious CDs were also taken, but it was the loss of the chalice that upset Fr McNamara most. The chalice, which had been a gift from his parents when he was ordained 30 years ago, was found in a roadside hedge by a parishioner who was walking along a road near Gneeveguilla on Friday night.

New clues in 2005 shooting murder

A REVIEW into the murder of a man whose body was found in a ditch has thrown up "significant" new lines of inquiry. Andrew Dillon (29) from Berryfield Road, Finglas, who was known to gardai, was found dead in a ditch at The Ward in north Dublin in August, 2005, having suffered multiple gunshots to the head.

Det Insp Kieran McEneaney told Dublin Coroner's Court there were a "number of new, significant lines of inquiry" arising out of the review of the case, and requested a six-month adjournment to the inquest to prepare and submit a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions. Coroner Dr Brian Farrell adjourned the inquest until June 24.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News