Monday 26 February 2018

Armed man posed questions 'to make sure I was alone' before attacking me in workplace - says mechanic

Stock picture
Stock picture

Ian Begley

GARDAI are hunting a knife-wielding thug who slashed and beat a Dublin mechanic at his workplace before stealing a large amount of money.

The robber, who was wearing a white baseball cap, walked into the Finglas mechanics at around 5pm on Tuesday and asked for the manager.

He said he was looking for work and wanted to hand in his CV.

When the mechanic explained that he was the only one on the premises, the man began to walk towards him.

The worker, who wishes to remain anonymous for security reasons, said it was at this point that he suspected something was wrong.

“He wanted to make sure that I was alone,” he told the Herald.

“As he got closer he suddenly lunged at me and it all kicked off from there.

“He demanded money and I asked if this was a joke.”

The terrified mechanic said the thug then produced a knife and launched a volley of slash attacks in his direction.

“Once I saw the knife I knew he was serious and figured it was best to just co-operate,” the victim said.

“He badly cut my arm and also punched me a good few times. I’m just relieved that he didn’t stab me.”

Before making his getaway, the attacker stole €1,000 from the company’s safe.

The injured mechanic was rushed to hospital, receiving numerous stitches to close the wound.

“I got out of hospital at about 3am last night and am now recovering at home,” he said.

“I’m still very shocked at what happened. It’s not the type of thing you would expect going into work.”

Gardai told the Herald that an investigation had been launched into the incident.

However, no arrests have been made to date.

“Gardai are investigating a robbery which took place at a premises on Jamestown approximately 5pm,” said a spokesperson.

“A man entered the premises and demanded cash from the safe. The suspect, described as wearing a black jacket and white baseball cap, fled the scene on a pushbike.

“A man in his 30s received non-life-threatening injuries.”

The spokesperson added: “No arrests have been made and investigations are ongoing.”


Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News