Anglo probe boss Paul Appleby to stay on for six months
THE MAN leading an investigation into white-collar crime within the now collapsed Anglo Irish Bank who announced his retirement today has changed his mind and will now stay on for six months.
Director of corporate enforcement Paul Appleby (57) deferred his retirement until after a replacement is found having announced it earlier in the day.
“The Government is determined that that really important office is not affected.....,” said Public Reform Minister Brendan Howlin this evening.
Earlier he insisted his leaving would have no adverse effect on the Anglo case, in which the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) is expected to soon bring about charges.
A spokesman for Mr Appleby confirmed he is eligible for the Public Service Retirement Scheme, which gives public servants the opportunity to retire and receive a pension based on their salary before key cuts are imposed.
But Mr Appleby, who has worked in public service for almost 39 years, said his decision to step down followed much reflection and discussions with his wife.
"I have formally notified Richard Bruton, TD, Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, of my decision to retire with effect from the end of February 2012 and therefore to resign as director," said Mr Appleby.
"This has followed a period of reflection and discussion with my wife and family in recent weeks."
He went on: "With regard to the Anglo Irish Bank investigation, I assured the Minister that my resignation would not impede its successful conclusion.
"I referred in particular to the report of significant progress made to the High Court last Thursday which included the completion of two ODCE investigative strands and only minor work being outstanding in a third area; and the public statement by Counsel for the DPP to the court that day to the effect that the DPP may soon decide to bring charges in the case."