All-out Bus Éireann strike could begin as early as tomorrow
Unions are expected to announce that an all-out strike may begin as early as tomorrow after Bus Éireann revealed it will impose cuts to work practices.
The group of unions will meet today to discuss a letter from management to staff following an emergency board meeting yesterday that approved the implementation of 46 changes to work practices.
Further measures will be imposed without agreement with unions from April 2.
In a letter to staff, acting chief executive Ray Hernan said: "Maintaining the status quo now is simply not an option."
He said a review of the company, which would result in job losses, was almost finished and would be presented to the board on Monday.
The Irish Independent previously revealed that 120 job losses have been earmarked among non-driver grades.
Mr Hernan said unions had indicated a willingness to negotiate and accept a loss of overtime earnings in recent correspondence.
But he said it was very clear that this willingness only related to ad-hoc overtime, which amounted to less than €500,000 a year. As a result, he said there was no basis for talks reconvening so difficult decisions had to be taken.
He also announced that route X7 would be withdrawn on April 2, while the X12 and 20/X20 services would be reduced on the same date.
The number 21 will go on April 16 and number 833 on June 25.