| 12.4°C Dublin

Addict's arms smashed with hammer over debt, court told

A MAN told yesterday how he had his arms and elbows broken in a horrific torture attack over a drugs debt.

Estonian national Jaan Eemon (32) told Galway Circuit Criminal Court that he was tortured by two men for about an hour at a shed on the outskirts of Galway city on May 25 last year.

He said his hands and feet were bound, he was beaten with a sledgehammer and a wooden implement was inserted in his rectum by Gintautas Bagdonas (31) and Aurelijus Zrielskis (36) at Menlo.

The two accused men, who are both Lithuanian nationals living in Galway, deny falsely imprisoning Mr Eemon and assaulting him and causing him serious harm.

When the case resumed on the second day of evidence yesterday, Judge Raymond Groarke told the jury there had been a development and Mr Bagdonas was no longer represented by a solicitor and counsel.

Mr Eemon told the jury he had begun using heroin in late 2009 and became addicted after four to five months. He owed money to friends and also to his supplier, Aurelijus Zrielskis.

He began selling drugs around Galway for his supplier and for Gintautas Bagdonas.


When he finished selling drugs in May of last year, he owed money to Mr Zrielskis.

On May 25 he got into a friend's car and the two accused also got in and physically restrained him.

He was driven to a cottage in Menlo, knocked to the ground, tied up and taken into a shed.

A cloth was placed in his mouth. Mr Bagdonas took off the victim's trousers and inserted something into his rectum.

"They put the stick to my face and made pictures on their mobile phone," he said.

He claimed the two accused had put a wooden board between his back and arms and then broke his arms and elbows with a sledgehammer and that both men had used the sledgehammer.

His right hand was then tied to a rock and broken with the sledgehammer. "It was very cruel and beastly," he said.

Menlo resident Gerard Daly said he was returning home for lunch when he saw a man in distress by the side of the road.

Mr Daly phoned the emergency services and an ambulance arrived shortly afterwards.

Garda Niall Lennon said that when he arrived at the scene he found Mr Eemon with a T-shirt tied around a wound on his arm and "roaring with pain".

His clothing was tattered and there was blood, dirt and hay in his clothing and hair.

The trial continues.

Irish Independent