Wednesday 21 February 2018

'Accidental' fire led to boys' death

Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

A HALLOWEEN house fire that claimed the lives of two little boys started accidentally.

The Director of Public Prosecutions has ruled out any action over the tragedy that claimed the lives of Cian (2) and Calvin (4) Ellard-Punch.

Cian and Calvin were found in the arms of their unconscious mother, Stacy (26), in an upstairs bedroom of their terrace home at Elm Park, Wilton, Cork, on October 30, 2011.

Locals had raised the alarm after spotting dense smoke billowing from the house in the early hours of the morning. The fire is believed to have started near a cooker in the kitchen.

Cian and Calvin died despite frantic efforts to save them. Neighbours smashed down the house door and windows in a desperate bid to rescue the trio -- but were unable to reach them due to intense heat and smoke.

The boys' mother has since recovered but remains deeply traumatised by the tragedy.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News