Monday 18 November 2019

'A lovely young man' - Tributes paid to father who collapsed and died in Dublin estate

Daniel Morris died on Friday after crashing into a metal barrier and running into a housing estate, fearing he was being chased by criminals

Sean Nolan and Conor Feehan

Tributes have been paid online to the father-of-two who collapsed and died on Friday night after crashing into a metal barrier and running into a housing estate, fearing he was being chased by criminals.

Daniel Morris (35), from Allenton Drive, Tallaght, drove his Volvo car onto a green area off Limekiln Avenue, Greenhills, Dublin, before the vehicle crashed into a set of railings shortly after 9pm on Friday.

He then ran from the car, into the nearby Temple Manor estate.

He later collapsed at one of the houses.

Daniel Morris
Daniel Morris

Gardai and emergency services were called to the scene but he was pronounced dead at Tallaght Hospital after being taken there by ambulance.

Mr Morris will be buried in Bohernabreena Cemetery tomorrow and tributes were paid to him on social media in the wake of the funeral arrangements being announced.

"So unexpected such a nice person always happy," wrote one while another said "Rest in peace Dano, lovely young man".

Local Fianna Fail councillor Charlie O'Connor also spoke of the shock that Mr Morris' death had caused in the Tallaght area.

"There is a lot of shock locally," O'Connor told

"There has been a lot of sadness and upset in the area.

"I extend my sympathies to the family on their great loss," he added.

Residents of Temple Manor spoke about Mr Morris banging on doors in the estate in panic.

"He was very distressed, and was saying 'I'll never see my kids again' and 'they're going to shoot me', but there didn't appear to be anyone after him," said one local resident in the estate.

"Then he ran out the door. We would have preferred if he stayed. He was very anxious," they added.

Mr Morris then ran into the house next door where Davina Byrne answered.

"I let him in, and I'm glad I did. He was terrorised. I really feel for his family," she said. "He was shouting 'let me in' and 'someone's after me, they have guns' and he didn't want me to open the door once he was in.

"Then he collapsed in the hall and was clutching at his heart. He was terrified. The gardaí arrived at that stage, and the ambulance."

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News