400 lamb carcasses are destroyed in health scare
The Department of Agriculture has confirmed more than 400 carcasses of lambs were destroyed after they were found to have a disease that can be transmitted to people.
Veterinary inspectors detected the sarcocystosis in lambs over several weeks and carcasses were condemned before they entered the food chain.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said cases of people becoming infected with the sarcocystis parasite are more common in "cultures where raw meat is commonly eaten".
Cases of infections among people are uncommon in Ireland. It is not listed with the Health Protection Surveillance Centre as a notifiable infectious disease.
Symptoms such as nausea, stomach ache, and diarrhoea vary widely depending on the number of cysts ingested. In many cases it is benign with no obvious signs.
It is understood the outbreak has been linked back to the Donegal region. In many cases the parasite can be passed on by contamination from dogs.