Friday 18 October 2019

120 'no show' patients

A staggering 120 patients a day fail to show up for appointments in University Hospital Galway.

There were more than 7,800 'no show' patients, who did not turn up for outpatient appointments at the hospital in the first quarter of this year. The latest figures suggest that by year-end the numbers of patients who don't turn up for appointments in 2013 at the city hospital will top 31,000.

Century-old bank shuts

A bank, operating for over 100 years, closed its doors yesterday.

The Allied Irish Bank (AIB) in Croom, Co Limerick, shut its doors at 4pm after 102 years serving its community. The shut-down by the state-owned AIB is part of a series of branch closures across the country, which includes eight branch closures in Limerick.

Man 'on run' refused bail

A MAN who was allegedly on the run for five-and-a-half years after the gardai found him in possession of over €400,000 worth of drugs has been refused bail.

Judge John Coughlan at Tallaght District Court heard that James Pakenham, of Cill Cais, Old Bawn, Tallaght, was arrested last week after his mother's funeral in Slane, Co Meath. Pakenham allegedly escaped from the gardai on September 6, 2007. He is charged with possession of cocaine, possession of cocaine for sale or supply, possession of ecstasy and possession of ecstasy for sale or supply at an apartment at Westend Gate, Tallaght, on September 6, 2007. The judge remanded Pakenham in custody for a week to Cloverhill District Court.

Footbridge name blow

CAMPAIGNERS seeking to name a new footbridge after missing woman Fiona Pender believe it will not happen.

The 25-year-old Offaly hairdresser was seven months pregnant when she disappeared from her apartment in Tullamore in 1996. Her mother Josephine and brother John wanted to name the footbridge over the Grand Canal 'Fiona's Way'. But Tullamore Town Council has adopted a new policy preventing infrastructure from being named after individuals.

Family rescued at sea

A FAMILY of four had to be rescued by helicopter off the west Donegal coast after getting into difficulty on a boat yesterday.

The two adults and two children were winched to safety off the Slieve League cliffs after engines failed on the vessel. The boat owner and captain remained on board the Nuala Star while it was towed to Teelin Harbour.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News