Monday 20 January 2020

BBC faces backlash over Humperdinck choice

Engelbert Humerdinck in 1969
Engelbert Humerdinck in 1969

The BBC is facing a backlash over its decision to pick Engelbert Humperdinck to sing Britain's entry at the Eurovision Song Contest.

The selection of the singer - who will be 76 by the time he performs in the competition in Baku, Azerbaijan, in May - provoked a number of complaints on the corporation's website.



One asked whether it was "April Fool a month early" while another suggested that it was like a "bad dream".



Another user wrote: "This proves once and for all that the contest is a joke. The BBC are going to throw a load of money at this again and have put an act in that will barely trouble the scorers."



Joseph Leather called the move "absolutely shocking", the Daily Mail reported.



He added: "With the Olympics and Diamond Jubilee this year, it's the perfect occasion to show the UK as a young hip place to be not stuck in the past which you have clearly done."

A post by another user wrote: "What sort of message does this send to the world? That in 2012 there are no up and coming performers that can represent the UK?



"Or maybe the strategy is to win by gathering the middle-aged women vote from all across Europe."



However there was backing from a user called Andy, who said: "I was astonished at first, but EH will stand out from the crowd of 19-year-old Euro-Pixies and is well known across Europe.



"While the votes for the usual Euro-pap will be fragmented, big old EH could well unite the over-50s vote and steal a win."



A BBC spokesman said that the choice of Humperdinck had been "the subject of much heated debate", adding: "We are deliighted by the overwhelming and largely positive response."

Telegraph.co.uk

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment

Back to top