TV3 pull footage of Blind Date contestant after it's revealed he was convicted of vicious assault in Australia
TV3 have scrapped footage from an episode of Blind Date after it was revealed a contestant has a criminal history.
David Mulligan (33) from Lucan, Co Dublin appeared on the first episode of the series last Sunday and during the week, it was reported that he was previously convicted of assaulting a man in his 50s in Sydney, Australia. He was originally given a 15-month suspended sentence, but the Court of Criminal Appeal deemed his sentence too lenient and he was instead ordered to spend a year in prison.
The presiding judge called for a sterner conviction after reviewing the CCTV footage, which showed him repeatedly punching a man in the face during the altercation.
The vicious assault left Mr Nissen, who is almost 60 years old, with a fractured eye socket, fractured jaw and a collapsed sinus that led to a lung infection, the local District Court heard.
"The victim was a man approaching 60 inoffensively walking his dogs on a Saturday morning," Justice Ian Harrison said.
When his parole was revoked in 2014, Mr Mulligan fled, prompting a manhunt by New South Wales police.
A TV3 spokesperson told the Sunday World that his appearance on tonight's episode, which would have documented his date as a follow-up to last week's show, has been pulled and he will not appear in any repeat episodes.
"TV3 were shocked to learn of David Mulligan's assault conviction, which was not declared to the production company. All applicants were quizzed on whether they had any previous convictions or ongoing criminal proceedings during the vetting process and signed a declaration that they did not. In light of this information, we have pulled the repeat of this episode from our schedule and edited Mr Mulligan from Sunday night's episode."