'Ratings are everything' - Kathryn Thomas says The Voice is here to stay
RTE star Kathryn Thomas said that The Voice of Ireland isn't going anywhere.
It was reported ruing the week that the reality singing competition was facing the chop, but the host said last night that there are no plans to scrap the show.
The state broadcaster issued as call-out seeking alternatives for entertainment show ideas for the 6.30pm timeslot, a move they say takes place with all their long-running independently produced shows.
A Montrose spokesperosn explained: "It's RTÉ policy to look at alternatives for any returning series which has been on air for a maximum of four years."
However, Kathryn, who fronts the show alongside Eoghan McDermott, said that the fact that they're winning the ratings battle speaks for itself.
When asked by Brendan O'Connor on The Saturday Night Show if the rumours about its cancellation were true, she responded:
"I read that as well. RTE said they're looking for production companies to tender new Sunday night programmes.
"As you know yourself Brendan, ratings are everything and 700,000 watched The Voice last week...so, no."
The popular presenter (36) also spoke about her boyfriend Padraig McLaughlin, whose mother passed away last month, and her own struggles with grief after losing her grandmother last year.
"She died yesterday a year ago and I had to get on a flight two hours later to film a documentary in Rwanda," Kathryn explained.
"I didn't come home for her funeral because I had a problem with my visa so I was stuck in Ethiopia.
"I know if I went home, she wouldn't have been happy. It was weird being out there and dealing with death in such a horrific manner. Having one of the closests people in the world to me pass away, who was 87 and didn't have a long illness - then you're in an environment when it was just death on a scale you cannot imagine."