'Love/Hate' to take a year-long break
A SIXTH series of 'Love/Hate' is in discussion but the hit gangland drama will not be back until at least 2016.
RTE has confirmed that a new series is "in development" but will not be broadcast next year.
It said the station, the producers, and creator Stuart Carolan felt it was important "to take time and reflect" before going to production with a sixth season.
And Mr Carolan has hinted that many of the familiar faces in the series may not be back when the drama eventually returns to the screen.
The writer said that any new series would have to be done in a "very different way" and revealed that the current incarnation of the show "is over".
He also praised the stars and crew on the show for working "to the point of collapse".
"And they do that because they believe in it and everyone knows we're trying to get this as best it can be," he said.
"But you can only push like that so far, you know. Eventually something cracks."
In a statement, RTE confirmed that 'Love/Hate' will not return to screens next year.
But just over a week since the finale aired, it said a sixth series "is currently in development" with the writer and creator Mr Carolan and Octagon Films.
"As a public service broadcaster, RTE's principal concern is always the audience and the creative dynamic of a drama and we all want to ensure the writing, preparation and production of a subsequent series mirrors the high standards 'Love/Hate' viewers have come to expect over the past five seasons," it said.
Over one million people tuned in to watch the finale of the series last Sunday week.