'It wasn't my decision' - Ray D'Arcy on taking over Saturday night slot from Brendan O'Connor
Ray D'Arcy has said it was not his decision to replace Brendan O'Connor on Saturday nights on RTE.
On Saturday O'Connor (45) revealed The Saturday Night Show, which he has presented for five years, will finish up in May.
D'Arcy (50) who recently defected from Today FM back to RTE where he secured an afternoon radio slot on RTE Radio 1, is being lined up to take over the prime time slot on Saturday nights.
Mrs Brown's Boys star Brendan O'Carroll yesterday appeared on Ray's new afternoon talk show and O'Carroll congratulated him on the news about the new tv role.
However, O'Carroll said he would be sad to see O'Connor leave and added, "He's done a great job of the Saturday Night Show".
Ray replied, "I'll miss him as well. I've only come off the phone to my mother - both of us said we like him. Anyway, it wasn't my decision Brendan."
The Saturday Night Show had been performing extremely well in the ratings, eclipsing the Late Late Show by 70,000 viewers earlier this month.
Show producer Larry Masterson will move back to The Late Late Show in an effort to give the flagship Friday night show a boost.
Masterson will take up his new role when Mr O'Connor moves to a midweek slot next year, while Ray D'Arcy will be the new face of Saturday nights.
Former RTE broadcaster Pat Kenny last night said he "didn't understand" the decision to axe the show and said it was "a gamble".
He also praised Mr Masterson, whom he called "a brilliant producer".