I'd love to make it 15 years on the Late Late Show - I'm having a ball' - Ryan Tubridy
RTE presenter Ryan Tubridy admits he would love to continue hosting The Late Late Show for at least another six years.
While not expecting to even get close to replicating Gay Byrne's record 37-year-long stint, he is more than happy to carry on fronting the flagship show for the foreseeable future.
"I'm heading into my 9th year this September and I was thinking about it," he said.
"Whoever turns 18 this year will have known me as The Late Late Show host since they were nine and I thought, 'That's an interesting idea that, I'm their guy'.
"Yeah I would [like to get to 15 years]. I'm really enjoying it, I'm having a ball," he added.
Executive producer Larry Masterson retired from the show last month and Tubridy said that he will be getting some new back-room staff as a result, meaning it is "going into re-boot territory".
However, he revealed he will not be making his annual trip to London for a stint with BBC radio and is happy just to chill out instead.
"I'm enjoying myself, I don't need it in the world," he said.
"It's one of those things where, we would have discussed and said, 'Look we'll hold off this year. There's too much going on'.
"I had a great season on the Late Late and I'm loving the radio show. The numbers are all good and with all that in mind, I don't need more distractions. I need time off."
The star has also been spending quality time with his two girls, Julia (12) and Ella (18), who has just completed her Leaving Cert (LC).
Tubridy said he would love to see the "horror show" of the final-year exam overhauled for a less-pressurised system of grading school children.
"I feel like I've been vicariously doing my LC for the last three weeks," he said.
"It's really tough on them. It's not right and it's not fair. The system is mean. It's really tough on them.
"I remember when I was 18 and it was a horror show and I remember thinking, at least in years to come the world will become kinder and more humanitarian. That never happened.
"We have to mind these people, mind these children and that's what we're here today to talk about, minding them.
"We're not minding them by putting them through that mince-machine. It's a tough old thing," he added.
He was speaking at the Childline Change launch, which sees the ISPCC organising its first ever national collection day for Friday, June 30.
Tubridy, an ISPCC ambassador, said that Childline played a "vital role in supporting children in distress across the country".