Dancing with the Stars celebs are yet to begin rehearsals... with just weeks to go
The celebrities on the upcoming series of Dancing With The Stars are going to have their work cut out as, with just weeks to go before the show debuts, they have yet to even start rehearsals.
The Herald can reveal that while all the show's professional dancers have been working hard on their own routines for the last few weeks, the celebrities have been sitting pretty while producers try to finalise the cast of characters taking part.
"Rehearsals haven't started yet. They won't start until December," a source said. "They are using lots of studios this year for rehearsals to accommodate all the celebs and where they are travelling from."
With just a few weeks left to hone their skills on the dancefloor to perfection, the celebrities will also be faced with more intricate dance routines than the first series.
"The routines are even more complex and exciting this year, so they have a tough few weeks ahead of them," the insider said.
Many of the celebrities worked round the clock in the lead up to the first series, with some sustaining minor injuries after hours of non-stop rehearsals. DEDICATE The second series will air on January 7 and will once again have 11 celebrity contestants.
While bosses are hoping to sign up a variety of personalities to entertain the nation, the main criteria for selection is that they must be willing to dedicate everything to the show.
"The main casting remit is that they really have to commit heart and soul to the series.
"You can tell on meeting people whether or not they have the hunger for it, so first and foremost they have to really want this because it's an incredibly demanding show and requires total commitment," the source said.
Nearly all of the professional dancers from the first series have been confirmed to return, with just one new addition.
Producers are believed to sort the celebrities with professional dancers according to height first and then they take into account who they think would get along well.
RTE sports presenter Marty Morrissey is said to be highly sought after by bosses to take part, while they are said to also be in talks with Conor McGregor's sister Erin and Nathan Carter's brother, singer Jake. Most recently, weatherman Gerald Fleming and former Xpose host Ruth O'Neill were linked to the series.
The Castleknock woman departed the TV3 show after just one year hosting the programme and has since moved to London.
But producers are hoping to draw her back with an offer to strut her stuff in Ardmore Studios.
Other celebrities, including former Mrs Brown's Boys star Rory Cowan and RTE pundit Richie Sadlier, have turned down offers to appear on the show.
Bosses are also likely to be looking to sign up a sports star for the second series after GAA player Aidan O'Mahony took home the glitter ball trophy earlier this year.
Fellow GAA star Philly McMahon recently revealed he turned down an offer to appear in the first series.'It will be a challenge even though I won DWTS in Poland' - Meet Dancing with the Stars hunky new addition Dancing with the Stars: Professional dancers put through their paces in rehearsals