Wednesday 21 February 2018

Celebrity MasterChef may be off the menu after 'no discussion' at TV3

Celebrity Masterchef Ireland, 2016. Photography by Ruth Medjber www.ruthlessimagery.com
Group shot
Celebrity Masterchef Ireland, 2016. Photography by Ruth Medjber www.ruthlessimagery.com Group shot

Sean O'Grady

It looks like Celebrity MasterChef may be off the menu at TV3 next year as a new series has "not been discussed" by the powers-that-be at Ballymount.

The series premiered in January and saw former Eurovision winner Niamh Kavanagh crowned as champion.

She faced off against the likes of Weekend AM presenter Simon Delaney, singer Samantha Mumba and models Nadia Forde and Holly Carpenter.

However, the future of the show now looks uncertain as no preparation for a new series has taken place.

"There has been no discussion of a new series yet," an insider said.

Another source close to the show added: "Last year they got things done early and the celebrities were all asked to be on the show around April or May.

"Filming kicked off in August and ran on into September.

"There doesn't seem to be any sign of filming happening in the next few weeks and no one has heard anything about it being on TV3's autumn schedule."

Celebrity MasterChef is produced by Shinawil, the company behind RTE's Dancing With The Stars.

"They might have left it too late as Shinawil will have its hands full with Dancing With The Stars," the source told the Herald.

Celebrity MasterChef was first shown on RTE and quickly found a loyal audience, pulling in 380,000 viewers an episode.

However, the show lost some of its audience when it switched channels with the most recent series debuting to 121,000 and later averaging around 77,000 viewers an episode.

Some blamed the show's loss of viewers on the programme going out at the later time of 10pm; a more favourable reception may have awaited had it been aired at 8pm or 9pm.

However, the show proved successful for some of its famous participants.

Samantha Mumba followed her appearance on the show by filling in for Lucy Kennedy on The Six O'Clock Show, while finalist Simon Delaney is publishing his own cookbook, Simply Simon's: The Diner's Cookbook, in October.

Herald

Promoted Links

Entertainment Newsletter

Going out? Staying in? From great gigs to film reviews and listings, entertainment has you covered.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment